Every Christian male should ask himself this question: What makes me a man? More importantly, what makes me a godly man? If a man does not know who he is, he will not be all he can be in Christ Jesus. The Christian male has to understand that he can only define himself based upon biblical standards. This is because culture and Christianity have varying viewpoints about what makes one a “man.” The Christian male, then, has to learn to define his manhood in terms of his relationship with Christ (righteousness and character), rather than by the culture (which focuses mostly on external traits -strength, money, stature, family, etc). Before going further the Christian male should understand:
*A man’s definition is not based upon external characteristics, but internal traits.*
*The Definition of a man is found in the image of God.*
*Culture cannot define a man.*
With this understanding, we want to offer seven primary qualities or traits of the Christian man.
1. He reflects Christ’s image. As Adam was made in God’s image, the Christian man has to be made in Christ’s image. He will reflect the characteristics of Christ. (Romans 8:29)
2. He is a man full of wisdom and integrity. The Christian man will not be a fool. He will not lack spiritual wisdom and insight. He will be full of faith. (Acts 6:3a)
3. His is an example of the believers in this world. The Christian man will set an example that others can follow. He will represent the Christian faith well to the world. (I Timothy 4:12b)
4. He leads his home in the worship of God. One of the qualifications for a bishop was to have his home in order. This same quality will be in the true Christian man. (I Timothy 3:4)
5. He follows the example that Christ set. Paul exhorted the Corinthians to follow his example as he followed Christ. This will be the same desire of the Christian man. He will only want others to emulate him as he follows Christ. (I Corinthians 11:1)
6. He is man of prayer. In the Old Testament, men offered the most powerful prayers. Contrary to popular belief, women are not more effective in prayer than men. Prayer is not woman’s work. Men have a responsibility to weep and mourn and intercede for others also. (Ephesians 6:18)
7. He is a student of the Word of God. The Christian man will have a desire to know God’s word. He will not shun corporate and personal study of the Word. He will also understand the foundational beliefs of the Christian faith. (II Timothy 2:15)
Well, there you have it! Until next time, stand in the faith. Faithful is Christ who will be with us in the life and in the one that is to come. I have addressed this topic in detail in my book “What is Man? – Defining the Christian Male” which can found at Amazon.com.